Monday, May 12, 2014

Look Whooo's One Party

This post may be two months overdue, but this blog didn't exist back when Em turned one and I worked SO hard on her party that I want the chance to brag on it a little bit ;)
Some of her favorite toys when she was littler were plush owls so we really wanted to go with an owl theme. I designed a birthday package for all the paper goods based on an owl on one of Punkito's onesies. I made the invitation, a paper banner, cupcake topper, water bottle wrappers, cupcake wrappers, and food signs. It was a bit tedious to work on as I've never done a project like that before, but I think I've got the hang of it now and eventually I want to start designing other themes and offering these packages for sale. Let me know if you're interested in a specific kind ("hole in ONE," "little man," etc!) and I'd love to work on it.
I tried to work on party preparations a little bit each week - making a tissue paper pom here and there, browsing target and hobby lobby for decorations, printing and cutting, wrapper water bottles, etc. I definitely didn't realize how much time would go into this - I'm not sure I'll do a party of this scale again! But I'm definitely glad I spaced it out over several weeks otherwise I would have pulled all my hair out.
We tried to keep the food simple and easy to prepare: we had ham and cheese sliders, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (cut like owls!), caprese skewers, fruit skewers, and yogurt topped with granola and honey. We also had white almond cupcakes with strawberry buttercream and strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese buttercream, and a smash cake for Emma! I was particularly proud of my little fondant owls, made with the help of my cake-genius friend, Erin.
The best part of her birthday was looking around the room and seeing so many people who love our little girl who came to celebrate with us. We are especially grateful for our family that traveled from Provo, San Diego, Houston, and San Antonio to spend the special day with us. We couldn't be more proud of our sweet, smart, wonderful girl and loved every minute of celebrating her first year.
I'm including my source list below if you're interested in planning an owl-themed party, too.

  • Tissue paper - Amazon, pink and peach 
  • Table cloth - Amazon
  • Martha Stewart cake stand - Amazon
  • Streamers - Amazon, pink and light pink
  • Fillable ornaments - Amazon
  • Grey owl candles - Target (clearance!)
  • White owl vases - World Market
  • Ceramic Owls - Oriental Trading Co.
  • Jelly beans - strawberry cheesecake and tangerine, HEB
  • Jewelry tree (used for favors) - Target
  • Sugar cookies - a gift! I'll have to find out what bakery they came from.
  • Gumpaste (for owl cake toppers) - Hobby Lobby
  • Water bottles and mini-mason jars - Walmart




No comments:

Post a Comment