Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Spiritual Thought: Exquisite and Sweet

Alma is my favorite book in the Book of Mormon. All of it just seems to clear and simple to me. And I think I relate to Alma in a lot of ways.

Today I was reading in chapter 36 as Alma recounts his personal conversion. I love that he says the angels spoke to him "not of any worthiness of myself" (v. 5). He wasn't even seeking it out. In fact, he was causing a lot of trouble. But the Lord saw fit to pierce right to his heart and Alma was awakened to a knowledge of all his sins.
But after wrestling with that knowledge, he ultimately called on the Savior for forgiveness. And this is my favorite part: "There could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains....on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as my joy." (v. 21)

This so perfectly describes how I felt during my personal conversion. I think it's important to reflect on that time often. I don't always do that because I get caught up in the day-to-day of life. But every once in a while, I get the opportunity to share my story with someone and I realize that I benefit far more than they do. I remember with vivid clarity the exquisite bitterness. And I have a recall with gratitude and awe the exquisite sweetness of joy. The memories of these experiences help to renew my conviction and deepen my appreciation.

And that's my thought for today. Share your story with someone and bring yourself back to that moment of exquisite and sweet joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment